Thursday, April 29, 2010

Movies

Movies. One of today's most popular forms of entertainment. Someone can see a movie at the nearest Cinema or drive in. If they want to watch it at home, they can buy it from the store or rent it from Blockbuster. If they are bored in math class, they can watch it on their iPhone. If they are traveling, they can watch one on a plane or in the car (hopefully they are not driving). And if they are really desperate, they can go to youtube and look up all the parts. Movies are such a normal part of my life, that I rarely bother to think about the impact they have on our culture. Honestly, I think that a lot of movies, however entertaining they may be, are sending out negative messages and ideas that are being accepted into society. Teenagers are especially hard hit with stereotypes about how they should look, act, and think.
Almost every single movie out there practically screams, “Young women need to be thin, gorgeous, and all-around perfect!” In almost all of the movies who have a heroine, the heroine wears a size zero and has flawless skin. How many romance movies have you seen where the girl doesn't look like a supermodel? Probably not very many. And if it's an action or adventure movie she will also be either very smart, a master of an exotic form of martial art, or both. While it isn't a crime to look good, I think that this picture of beauty has set a standard for girls that is impossible to meet (with the exception of computer editing). It's no surprise that many teenage girls end up with low-self esteem and eating disorders. The media is constantly telling them that unless they look perfect, they're not good enough.
Another aspect of movies that has become a complete cliché and is practically expected is that the hero always has to fall in love with the heroine and vise versa. Then they kiss and the dramatic music plays and everybody has a warm, fuzzy feeling inside...the end! In all but a few chick flicks, the girl gets together with the guy she likes, and even in other genres, there will often be a romantic sub-plot that ends with the main character falling in love with the girl or guy that helped them out throughout the movie. I have to admit, I love happy endings. I love to walk out of the movie theater or turn off the TV with a smile on my face because the protagonist won the heart of their true love. Although this cliché doesn't seem to have affected as many people as the thin, pretty girls one, I've definitely seen people who are trying to live their life like a romance movie, and being very disappointed. Most teens know what I'm talking about. The people who always have to be in a relationship even if it's for no other reason than just being able to say, “I have a boyfriend” or “I have a girlfriend”. It can be very emotionally hurtful for this person as they hop from relationship to relationship, starting a new one almost immediately after the old one has ended. While happy, romantic endings aren't bad, the message they start to give out is that having a boyfriend or girlfriend should be a priority for young people.
Even though it's a lot of fun to go to the movie theater or rent a DVD, I think it's really sad how movies are brainwashing teens with these unrealistic ideas and stereotypes. Though they probably aren't the only cause, movies have definitely contributed to sending out ideas that can cause emotional and sometimes physical problems for teenagers who allow themselves to be influenced too much. I wish that more movies were being made that had positive, encouraging messages instead of the hurtful ones we see so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment